What Equipment Do You Need to Start a Cleaning Business?
Find out the top tools and equipment you need to run a professional cleaning business with this cleaning supplies checklist.
Quality cleaning supplies are among the many things needed to start a residential cleaning business—and an important one at that.
The right business supplies help you make money faster because you’re able to work more efficiently and clean more houses in less time. They also save you cash because they last longer, which means you spend less money on replacements.
But, what cleaning business supplies do I need to start and run a cleaning business? And should I even supply the cleaning products in the first place?
We’re glad you asked. You’ll walk away from this post with the answers to both these questions and learn about one tool that will let your cleaning business run more efficiently, stand out from the competition, and get paid faster, every time.
Ready? Let’s get started.
Should You Supply the Cleaning Products?
Some cleaning services expect homeowners to supply the cleaning products, but that’s a huge inconvenience for many customers who don’t have the time to go shopping.
In general, you should always supply the cleaning products yourself. Not only is it more convenient for your customers, but it also provides you with many benefits:
- You’ll look more professional and organized, which will impress customers
- You can charge more because customers are paying you for the convenience of sourcing the right products in addition to cleaning their homes
- You can clean faster when using cleaning products you know how to use
- You know the cleaning products will actually clean the house properly because you’ve handpicked them and aren’t relying on what your customers provide
But remember: Leave the option open to use the owner’s stash if they have preferred cleaning products. If the owner insists you use their cleaning products, just ensure that:
- They provide a list of what they have so you can determine if they have everything you need to do a proper job
- They present the cleaning supplies to you in a container upon arrival, so you don’t waste time searching for them in the cupboards
What's a cleaning supply you can't live without? Insurance.
GET A FREE CLEANING INSURANCE QUOTE
Get an accurate quote in minutes from Next Insurance, 100% tailored to your cleaning business needs.Get Quote
Your House Cleaning Business Supplies Checklist
Below you’ll find a cleaning business product checklist. It includes all the crucial supplies, equipment, and tools you need to run an efficient and profitable cleaning business, including:
- Essential cleaning supplies
- Common cleaning products
- Marketing and office supplies
- Cleaning business software
Your specific cleaning business may require supplies not included on this list. For example, a house cleaning business that specializes in eco-friendly cleaning or carpet cleaning will need specialty supplies. In that case, use this list as a jumping off point and include your own specialty equipment at the end.
Essential Cleaning Business Supplies
- Vacuum cleaner, with attachments for hardwood and carpet
- Bucket or container to carry supplies
- Mop and bucket
- Duster (both long and short)
- Dustpan and broom
- Paper towels
- Microfibre cloths (have separate, color-coded ones for the kitchen and bathroom)
- Glass cleaning cloths
- Protective rubber gloves
- Cleaning brushes (use disposable toilet brushes or ask the customer to provide one)
- Laundry bag (for old rags)
- Disinfectant wipes (perfect for bathroom and kitchen surfaces)
- Shoe covers (to keep floors clean)
- Spray bottle (to store homemade products and all-purpose cleaners you need to mix with water)
- Trash bags
Want to get—and stay—organized on every cleaning job?
Use our professional house cleaning checklist – it’s free!Get the Template
Essential Cleaning Products
- Multi-purpose cleaner (look for bottles that explicitly say they are suitable for appliances and different hard surfaces like walls, counters, desks, and floors)
- Disinfectant (necessary for bathroom and kitchen surfaces)
- Glass and window cleaner (commonly a spray and-wipe solution used for mirrors, glass, perspex, and windows)
- Air freshener
- Heavy-duty detergent or degreaser
- Furniture polish
- Oven cleaner
Stainless steel cleaner (for modern kitchen appliances which are stainless steel)
- Toilet and shower cleaner (buy as a separate or all-in-one solution to remove mold, mildew, and grime)
- Dishwashing liquid (use to clean plates, stovetops, refrigerators and more)
- Descaling agent or chemical descaler (removes limescale in kettles)
- Carpet cleaner
- Laundry detergent
- Stain remover
- Wood cleaner (you can make your own wood cleaning solution using one part Murphy Oil to eight parts water)
Cleaning Business Marketing and Office supplies
What is Cleaning Business Software?
Cleaning business software is for business owners to manage and run the operations of their cleaning company. This means one platform to manage clients, quoting, employee scheduling, time tracking, invoicing, and more. Jobber has been designed so that whether you’re at the office or in the field, you have the tools at your fingertips to organize and grow your business.
Does Your Cleaning Business Need Software?
Software isn’t always considered on lists of cleaning business supplies, but just like a high-quality vacuum or reliable mop, cleaning business software can help you save time, look more professional, and run a more efficient, profitable business.
Scheduling and management software for residential cleaning businesses, such as Jobber, helps you manage key business areas like quoting and invoicing. This helps you look like a bigger business, plan more profitable days, and stop important information from slipping through the cracks. Without it, you could double-book your schedule or overcharge by accident. These kinds of errors can quickly cost you customers.
In a nutshell, cleaning business software like Jobber lets you:
- Schedule visits and jobs for you and your crew
- Easily accept online bookings
- Create professional quotes you can manage from one place
- Easily convert a bid into a job
- Access all your client information from one central location
- Craft professional invoices and get paid online
- Check schedules, tasks, job notes, and client info from anywhere with a mobile app
How Cleaning Software Can Help your Business
Did you know? All of the photos above are of Lathered Cleaning Company, a professional cleaning business that uses Jobber to run their business operations. Find out how they stay organized, schedule their crews, and impress their customers below:
Interested in seeing how Jobber can work for you?
Start a free 14-day trial or book a time to chat with a Product Specialist for a personalized demo.
Beyond Cleaning Business Supplies
The right cleaning supplies are crucial to the success of your service business. They not only help you work more efficiently, but provide the support and professionalism you need to confidently grow your business.
Of course, these supplies are but one piece of the puzzle. You’ll also need to make hiring decisions, learn how to price cleaning jobs, market your cleaning business, and build client relationships to get more customers, referrals, and jobs.